Friday, February 27, 2009

Miss America: My new BFF


Last night was pretty normal…pretty low-key. I basically just chilled out and had a heart-to-heart with MISS AMERICA!!

The beautiful Kirsten Haglund, crowned Miss America on January 26, 2008, came to my school last night to speak about her personal struggle with anorexia in light of Eating Disorder Awareness Week: February 22-28.

Me and two buddies sat and listened to Kirsten’s story for about an hour and were educated about the dangers and health risks that eating disorders can cause. Did you know that 1 in 5 U.S. women suffer from some sort of eating disorder? Were you aware that 10% of all eating disordered patients are male?

Incredibly poised and cute as a button, Kirsten entertained students and faculty talking about her passion for ballet, her new-found appreciation for food and her rocky but successful path to recovery.

I can only recall one major “blonde” moment during her presentation… While describing the Miss America pageant, Kirsten said that the other contestants were “way more prepareder than [she] was”… (Kirsten, you’re so silly!)

After her presentation, “VIP” audience members with “VIP” tickets were invited to attend an “after party” where they could speak with Kirsten personally and enjoy free snacks and beverages. (The cheese cubes were $)… When Kirsten walked through the door, I immediately grabbed her attention… (I’m quite assertive)…and dove into a deep conversation with her about her recovery from anorexia and her amazing reign as Miss America. Major plus: She totally laughed at my jokes… what a winner!

Me and Kirsten… we’re pretty tight. We chatted and gossiped about all of her celebrity friends, (She’s buddy-buddy with Karina Smirnoff), and all of the famous people she met in 2008… (George W. Bush, Marcia Cross, Colin Firth, the JONAS BROTHERS!!)

Now that I’m officially jealous of my new BFF and have developed a profound respect for tiaras, I am proud to announce that I, Hilary Leister, will be running for Miss America in 2010.

No time to waste guys… I have to go work on my talent (wiggling my nostrils) and take some notes on Sandra Bullock’s s Miss Congeniality pageant wave… “All I want is World Peace!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment