Tuesday, February 17, 2009

High School Musical 3: "I Want It All"



Instead of writing a 1200 word paper about journalistic professionalism for Contemporary Media, I am sitting here in the school's underground computer lab: playing online and stuffing my face with Swedish fish and chocolate-covered pretzels.

ANYWAYS...Today's topic of discussion: High School Musical...(quite possibly the greatest Disney phenomenon ever created!)... The happy-go-lucky trilogy follows the lives of Troy (played by the gorgeous Zac Efron), Gabriella (attempted by the slutty Vanessa Hudgens), Chad (the newly-bearded Corbin Bleu), Taylor (the 27-year old Monique Coleman), Ryan (the adorable Lucas Grabeel), and Sharpay (the newly-nosed Ashley Tisdale)

I got a lovely voice-mail from my mother today during lunch... "Oh Hilllsseeyyy, I bought you a present today... BYE!"... Seriously? The woman sure knows how to leave a cliff hanger! So of course, I immediately call her back. After several minutes of badgering, she finally tells me that she purchased a copy of High School Musical 3... out TODAY on DVD!... (Mom kicks ass... especially since I only saw it 3 times in theaters :)

High School Musical 1, 2 & 3 are all filled with beautiful people, memorable songs and magical moments that only Disney could pull off. (Seriously... how could Troy drive from Albuquerque, NM to Stanford, CA on prom night just to jump out of a tree and listen to Vanessa call him a "Wildcat"... And yes, I mapquested the drive: 16 freaking hours!)

Zac Efron's sparkling blue eyes, Ashley Tisdale's sassy attitude and East High's incredible dance numbers are what give the movies their top-of-the-chart ratings. Listening to the songs on the 3 amazing soundtracks is like being thrown into a theatrical world of smiles, best friends and sequins!

The characters' teenage love affairs are so pure, so innocent, so unbelievably unreal that young viewers may be left with unrealistic expectations of life... (ex. Zac Efron bringing a midnight picnic of margarita pizza & chocolate-covered strawberries to Vanessa's bedroom... without so much as a kiss!?)... Although: The wholesome humor of first-love, a major theme in the movies, shows tweens that they can embrace their crushes without pulling a Jamie Lynn Spears.

If you haven't seen these amazing films, I highly recommend pushing them to the top of your Netflicks queue. If you're not a big musical fan but enjoy staring at Zac Efron's body, rent the 3rd movie and continuously play the first scene... over & over & over & over... (preview: Zac's upper body... hot and sweaty... breathing hard... all over the screen... WOW)

No comments:

Post a Comment