
The editors working at my school's student newspaper need to die!
I spent several laborious hours interviewing Teddy Graham's kick-ass band and writing a fabulous Q&A article to promote their concert on Friday night. I sent the article in to my editors Tuesday night, (aka: damn early!), and received a confirmation that it would be published in today's issue.
Anyways... I flipped through the paper this morning scanning the pages for my byline and sipping my caffeinated beverage. After carefully searching through the paper three times, I faced the reality that my article had failed to be published!
I've stomped over to the paper's office 4 times today... searching for some source of authority to be the target of my wrath. The door as been locked every time... no dice. I am therefore publishing my article here. I promised the band that I would promote them, and promote them I shall! Spread the word friends... Deville is on FIRE...
What do you get when you combine a tall guitarist sporting a sexy beard and a fedora hat, a witty bassist who looks like an Irish version of Kevin Jonas, an energetic drummer who blasts head-banging rhythms and a petite lead-singer with a soulful R&B and gospel background?
Answer… Deville: an emerging local band that uses rock, punk, blues, R&B and pop influences to create memorable songs that could grab the attention of almost any listener.
The four members of Deville, (Trevor, Ian, Pat and Gabby), have very different personalities, tastes, styles and talents. These local musicians found one another on Craigslist and joined forces to create a powerful sound that is rocking the stages of local venues across the DC area.
Some of the band’s members live together outside of Silver Spring, Maryland where they all gather several times a week to practice for their upcoming shows. Deville is influenced by and compares their music to that of No Doubt, Paramore, The Killers, Nirvana, The Beatles, The Ataris, and the list goes on…
Because Deville has been packing the houses of hot DC bars like The Red & The Black, they have been invited to play at the Rock’n’Roll Hotel and will be performing this Friday, March 20th at 8:30 pm. The Eagle sat down with Deville to talk about the band’s development, their goals for the future, their musical inspirations and their favorite DC hangouts.
How did you guys meet each other? How was Deville formed?
Gabby: I posted an ad on Craigslist for a guitar teacher because I was singing for another band at the time but wanted to learn how to play. Ian answered my ad and came over to teach me some chords.
Ian: I realized that she was a really great singer and we had so much fun just jamming together. We decided to take a chance and post another Craigslist ad for a drummer. Enter, Trevor…
Gabby: He pretty much came to the audition and beat the hell out of the drums. It was awesome, we loved it! All we needed now was a bassist, so we placed another ad and found Pat. We should seriously be spokespeople for Craigslist.
Who are your musical influences? Who or what inspires your songs?
Pat: Well, I know that Ian likes the blues, Gabby likes to be emotional, Trevor likes to hit things and I’m just kind of fun and funky.
Gabby: A lot of the lyrics I come up with somehow tell the story of my life. Pretty much all of our songs are inspired by things we are going through, except for City Girl, which Ian wrote for our friend Eleena. She helps take pictures for the band and lives with us here in the Deville house.
Pat: Wait a minute, City Girl was written for Eleena!? I totally feel like I’ve been dating a girl and just found out she was a stripper! No one told me this!
Gabby: Forgive Pat, he just joined the band a few months ago. He’s still learning the ropes. Chill out man!
What distinguishes you from other bands in DC? Why should AU students come out and see your shows?
Ian: We’re different than other bands because we aren’t trying to be something that’s already out there. Most groups are aspiring to be Radiohead and random Indie hipsters. All of their music ends up sounding the same. Deville, on the other hand, tries to incorporate lots of different sounds to create something completely original.
Pat: We are influenced by almost every genre and really try to stretch our musical abilities… without selling our souls.
Where do you guys see yourselves going in the future? What’s next for Deville?
Trevor: We really try to keep ourselves in the present. I personally like to think about the next show and the shows coming up in the near future. It helps me to enjoy everything as it happens and appreciate what we’re doing.
Pat: I think our main goal right now is to become one of the premiere bands in DC. It’s all about baby steps. Step one is to rock this city… then maybe concentrate on bigger things in the future.
Individually, what are your favorite hangout spots in the city?
Ian: Freedom Plaza Skate Park… it’s where I go to relieve all my stress.
Trevor: I like riding the metro and listening to music.
Gabby: Trevor, you are so weird. I like U Street. They have some incredible resturants.
Pat: There’s a little restaurant I like on 2nd Street in NW called “My Brother’s Place.” I have so many great memories there. Definitely go and check it out… but make sure you come and see Deville beforehand.
way to stick it to the man - i.e., the eagle :P
ReplyDelete