Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 "In & Out" List

Every year on January 1st, the Washington Post publishes an "In & Out" list in honor of the new year. This list represents what WP writers think should be left behind as "drab" in the previous year and what should be embraced as "way freaking cool" in the year to come.

Today, I'd like to share my own "In & Out" list that I think everyone should use as a basis for determining what will, in fact, be the epitome of chic & fly in 2011. (NOTE: Everything you are about to read is absolutely true. I am the Goddess of Cool)...

Out:                                             In:

1) Swooning over Vampires                1) Swooning over Weasleys

It's no secret that a vampire craze spread like chicken pox among our nation's female population in 2010. However, I believe that everyone's favorite ginger family will fully satisfy our nation's ladies come the release of HP7 (II) this summer.

2) Boring black computer speakers   2) Computer speakers shaped like animals!

For years, computer gurus have been using external speakers to increase their computers' volume. These speakers are plain, ugly, and absolutely no fun. I think that 2011 will bring the birth of amazing external speakers, (such as the panda speakers featured above).


3) Chicken                                          3) Chickpeas

I'm not really one to evangelize veganism. However, today... I feel no shame in using my blog as propaganda! Killing little chickens is NOT cool. Embrace the bean in 2011 & you'll save a clucking friend, have less unwanted hormones flooding through your body, & you'll help the environment!

4) Keypads                                          4) Touch-screens

I know that touch-screens have been around for awhile, but they are just SO much cooler than keypads. (They're practically magic!)

5) Barnes & Noble                     5) Amazon.com e-books (for Kindle)

If you're a bookie like myself, don't be an idiot. Save some money! (Save more by being a nerd & visiting your local library. I promise, you won't turn into one of the old ladies who work there.

6) Spaghetti                                         6) Spaghetti Squash

If you haven't tried spaghetti squash, go freaking buy one... NOW! It's amazing, it's a vegetable, & it's a great substitute for spaghetti. (Top it w/ tomato sauce).

7) Gals with long hair                          7) Gals with short hair

Short hair on girls is sexy... deal with it! Yes, if you choose to cut your hair, its insane awesomeness may be intimidating to those around you. But remember- they're only jealous of your guts to go short!

8) Watching "Jersey Shore"                   8) Visiting the Jersey Shore

I swear, I have NO ties to this state! (ahem)... But I do encourage road trips. Ergo- get off your ass and stop watching MTV. Go visit the beach and get your GTL on instead of watching Snookie on the tube.

9) Hallmark Cards                              9) Homemade cards

Let's not support the company that thought up such an idiotic concept as "Valentine's Day." (Although, I must admit- I do love the occasional flowers and chocolates)... Instead, work some magic & make your own cards! People will  love them and you can be much more creative and personable.

10) Acting like a douche bag                10) Smiling, Pleases, & Thank yous

Despite my occasionally cynical sarcasm, I am an optimist. I'm a firm believer that you can get what you want if you embrace the concepts of politeness, concern, & helpfulness. So let another car into the never-ending line during rush hour, bake someone cookies, recycle, hold the door open for someone whose arms are full. Your friendly acts will likely come back to you.... KARMA!
 

Well, there you have it! A few simple tips for getting your "cool" on in 2011. (There may be more tips in the near future). Happy New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment