Saturday, July 30, 2011

Banana Walnut Muffins!

Please allow me to begin by saying that this is NOT a recipe blog! Although I do consider myself a master chef, (smirkity smirk), I don't think I have quite reached the age where it is appropriate to be writing a blog about home-cooking. (If anyone asks, the proper age is 33.... or 26, if you're Mormon.)

Today, however, I feel the urge to write a post about the wonderful creations I recently concocted. After perhaps dozens of failed attempts over the years, I have finally managed to bake a batch of decent-tasting MUFFINS! Some might even call them tasty... (One of my past failed attempts included "Blueberry Disaster Balls," as I fondly like to refer to them)...

Last weekend I succeeded in making banana walnut muffins w/ a recipe out of the Skinny Bitch Everyday Cookbook. The muffins were moist, sweet, slightly healthy, and crunchy, (because of the walnuts, of course). Here is the recipe so all you hungry readers can flock to your kitchens and bake your hearts out! Nom, nom nom...


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups soymilk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup Earth Balance butter
3/4 cups cane sugar
1/4 cup vanilla soy yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large bananas, mashed
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
  2. In a small bowl, mix the milk and vinegar and let sit until curdled. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
  3. In a separate large bowl, beat the room temperature Earth Balance & sugar with a mixer until fluffy, (about 3 minutes). Add the yogurt, milk mixture, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just incorporated. Stir in the mashed bananas.
  4. In a small bowl, add the walnuts, brown sugar, and remaining cinnamon. Set aside. Spoon the batter into paper, (or silver), muffin liners in a muffin pan until they are about 2/3 full.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the walnut mixture to the top of each muffin. Return to the oven and bake 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
  6. ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment