Saturday, March 21, 2015

Do not FEAR, Spring is HERE!

It's spring time, loyal readers! It has finally arrived. Yesterday was the first official day of spring, and with it came 30 degree weather and a morning full of snow flurries. But did that stop me from having a delightful day? NO, SIR!

Since the owner of my company is Irish, St. Patrick's Day is an official company holiday. However, I have an important meeting every Tuesday afternoon, so I took yesterday off instead. I pledged to myself that I would take advantage of my free Friday and make it a legitimate staycation that I could be proud of.

I maintain a list of local restaurants that I want to try. It mostly consists of friend and co-worker recommendations and raves from Tom Sietsema's reviews. Yesterday I managed to cross off THREE of the restaurants on my list!

I had breakfast at South Block Cafe, a local juice and smoothie bar recommended by one of our neighbors. I ordered the Super Green smoothie, (pineapple juice, spinach, kale, bananas & mangoes), and the breakfast burrito, (whole wheat tortilla, potatoes, avocado, egg whites & salsa). The Super Green smoothie was alright, (could have used some more sweetener) and so was the breakfast burrito, (could have used some ketchup), but I wasn't incredibly overwhelmed. Next time I'm going to order the Caveman Bowl, (acai blend, dates, coconut, banana & granola), and the King Kong smoothie, (chocolate, bananas, cashew milk, dates, peanut butter & protein powder).


Breakfast kept me full for several hours! When I was finally hungry again, I ordered a Shack Burger from Shake Shack. (No cheese fries! Had I been more hungry, I would have DEFinitely ordered cheese fries). The burger was very tasty. Now I know what all the hype is about. And next time, I'm definitely ordering cheese fries.


Dinner took place at Pupatella Pizza, a local joint in Arlington, VA that serves up authentic Neapolitan pizza pies. The restaurant wasn't very organized, (their ordering/seating/delivery system is a hoopla of insanity), but the pizzas were very good. The pizzas were clearly made with fresh, high-quality ingredients and were pleasantly flavorful. YUM!



To me, spring and summer mean finally getting outside, trying new things and having fun adventures and new experiences. I am proud to say that the first day of spring was a success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment