Sunday, August 14, 2011

Life's a Brew-sical

At work this past Friday, I won an award at our "monthly team rally" for being such a super help this summer to the beer team! (Note to readers... I work in the alcohol industry. Our beer team actually does work. They aren't bums who get drunk on 40s during their lunch break).

Anyways- After the rally was over and I received my award, the manager of the beer team came over to my desk and said, "So, Hilary, I don't know if you've heard....." Automatically, my heart rate jumped from lazy turtle to jack rabbit. Had I heard what!? That my boss had fallen and was being rushed to the hospital? (I would have had a panic attack.... and rushed to bring her a diet coke). That all the wine in the kitchen had exploded and I needed to go clean it up? That the office had all pitched in and bought me a giant basket of dachshund puppies!? What hadn't I heard!?

".... That the beer team and I actually wrote a song for you & were going to sing it when giving you your award"

Yes, those were the words that came out of the beer manager's mouth. Were you expecting that? Nope, neither did I! She then went on to sing me the song, which was to the tune of some Duran Duran song I've never heard of but pretended to know so I wouldn't look like an idiot. I was so elated and confused that I don't remember the whole song, but I know it went something like this...

Hilary writes great beer reviews.
She's great at writing and she knows her brews.
She's now an expert at unique craft ales,
IPA's, porters, she could never fail.
Stouts and wheats are much better than tea.
And Hilary always includes the ABV!

In a nutshell, it was one of the greatest moments of my life. Only once before has anyone written a song about me... and that was my crazy uncle who was drunk & trying desperately to entertain a bored 3 year-old. The most magical thing about that moment with the beer manager was realizing that my life is truly becoming a musical!

No comments:

Post a Comment