Thursday, January 21, 2010

Skinny Bitch Changed My Life

It's not often that I come across a book that changes my life. It has to be kick-ass, extremely convincing, captivating, and pragmatic for me to eat-it-up and follow whatever it's telling me to do.

Well... I recently read a book called "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. The book isn't about being a skinny little bitch, (the title's a bit deceiving). It's about eliminating food from your diet that's drowned in chemicals, hormones, steroids, and artificial everything. It's about waking-up and realizing that you crave caffeine and junk food because of unnatural addictive chemicals found in the delicious but disgustingly horrible junk we put into our bodies. It promotes becoming a vegan or a vegetarian and reveals the truth about the USDA, slaughtering houses, and dairy farms.

After reading a few chapters, I was terrified and lay frozen in my bed thinking about the turkey sandwich I'd eaten for dinner. I ran to the fridge, opened the door and tentatively picked up a piece of ham to test myself. Could I eat this delicious Boar's Head treat after reading about the poor cows and pigs who get their legs ripped off... alive!?... Turns out, I couldn't... I picked up the package and threw it down the garbage disposal.

So now, ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to announce that I'm going to try vegetarianism. Reading about the torture that animals go through during the slaughtering process and the steroids and hormones they are given before being killed has convinced me to pass on meat and dairy. After all, all those steroids being given to the cows can pass right through them into their milk.

To finish up, here's a quick passage from the book to show you why I've decided to do what I'm doing... "Stunned or not, cows and hogs are then strung up from the ceiling by a chain attached to their legs. In theory, while they dangle there, they are supposed to be unconscious. But often they are fully conscious, struggling, screaming, and fearfully staring at the workers while they have their throats stabbed open.... Often before hogs can bleed to death, they are dunked fully conscious into 140-degree scalding water to remove the hair from their bodies."


OINK, OINK!

4 comments:

  1. I am currently sipping a Soy Milk latte... woo!

    -Katie Sovonick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEED THAT BOOK BUT I CAN'T B VEGETARIAN...REALLY!

    HOW ARE YOU? HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that book! i guess they also have a cookbook that i've been meaning to look into. meat does not look the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. read the kind diet! and look into raw food!! its sorta addicting to start reading about that stuff...

    ReplyDelete